Congratulations to long time reader and friends Jenn, Clark and Jacob. They have a baby on the way - expected due date is late March 2012. I hate to tell you but you heard it hear first but on 1.11.11, I made a prediction that the Williams household would be increasing by one. (Pretty sure I had exclusive rights to this story...not sure how it got leaked before being announced here first. My lawyers will be in touch.) We are super happy for them.
PS - Babypoloza 2011 - 1 (You didn't have to attend. Just reading or listening to Hootie on this blog can have the same results. I warned you.)
1st Day of School Photos
I told you I had some 1st day of school photos and I finally downloaded them off the camera.
Labor Day Weekend
This weekend needs another name (maybe just for me) but labor is the last thing I look to do during any holiday weekend (and let's be honest any weekend).
Best Labor Day Weekend Song - Jimmy Buffett's "Come Monday"
(Not sure who the guy singing in the video is...ha!ha! Even I was a little to young to remember Jimmy Buffett in '73)
We were in a haze for most of the weekend. Our family has been passing the sinus infection/sore throat around for the last week and a half. Wyatt is our carrier and gives it to all of us. Not feeling 100% on a holiday weekend is for the birds.
We were unsure what we were doing on Saturday but wanted to do something with the kids (even though I was fine sitting on the sofa teaching them about College Game Day and the importance and significance of the opening Saturday of college football). However, since we got our 5:30am wake-up call from Wyatt (how do kids know to sleep in Monday-Friday and wake up at the crack of dawn on Saturday, Sunday and all Holidays - I am putting that on my list of questions that I am to be buried with so I can ask God). We decided that since we would be awake early, we would get ready and go to the Children's Museum in Columbia. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that it wouldn't be too crowded with it being a holiday weekend (people would be doing something other than going to the museum and the kickoff of the college football season) and for the most of day it wasn't too crowded. As we approached Columbia, I had a bright idea that we do something spontaneous and skip the museum and head up the Clemson game. LA and I were in but convincing Aubrey that the Clemson game would be more exciting and that she would get to see a "Tiger" and it would be the third most important day (following her birth, and baptism) in her 2.9 years of living was a bit more difficult than I thought. She was convinced and wanted to go to the museum and play. I am pretty sure I asked her in as many different ways (Tiger paws on her face and hands - and trust me when she said "I don't want tiger paws" I new this battle was over) as I could think but she was committed to going to the museum and I gave in and decided that a 2 hours car ride would be a long time to deal with an upset child that didn't get to go to the museum (even though I am sure she would have had a blast once she got there). We had a good time at the museum even if it got off to a rough start for Aubrey when the 1st thing we did was go inside a 3 story boys stomach. Wyatt and I went through some part of his body and ended up in his heart and then climbed into his head. (I am not exactly about to dry up and blow away but I am also not Fat Albert...they need height and weight recommendations before trying to navigate the tunnels in this boys body and if you claustrophobic I would recommend watching from the stairs). Aubrey would have nothing to do with the boy, so LA had to take her out. I am sure you are wondering what else there was to do. They got to milk a cow, pick peaches, climb on a John Deere tractor, gather up eggs from chickens, drive a bulldozer, drive a punch buggy, play with blocks, fish, play drums, ride a camel, paint, dress up like firemen, drive the fire truck, play on the big out door slide, and in the outdoor river (if it involves getting wet, our kids are first in line). Oh, almost forgot the $3 per person up charge to be able to go into the butterfly exhibit - in mine and LA's opinion - a waste of $9. I would expect it to be like butterflies attack with them flying everywhere and them landing on you...not hardly. My advise is to save the $9 and put it towards buying your own butterfly garden for home. Your kids will learn more and it will be much better. To save you from asking me or LA (I will be glad to tell you the same thing in person.), it is better than the Charleston Children's Museum for the cost but it is in Columbia. If you looking for a day trip, go to Columbia. If your looking to kill a few hours go to Charleston. AND as Aubrey and Wyatt get older the museum in Columbia will have more that they can do and experience.
More photos of our trip to the museum can be found on Facebook.
Our Monday activities were waking up, playing with the kids, watching videos, lunch, naps for the kids and some tv for mom and dad. I am going to be honest and tell you that we couldn't have worked in the yard all day and been as tired as we felt at 7:30pm after we put the kids down. I didn't realize singing songs and doing nothing was so tiring. I am going to need another day off.
I'm Going To Take You Down
My niece, Meghan plays goalie for Armstrong Atlantic and their season officially started last Friday and it wasn't a great start for her or the team as they lost 0- 2 BUT she did get a yellow card for cloths-lining a girl on the first goal that was scored. I am working my sources for video...stay tuned. I told her that was the way to set the tone and for everyone who scouts them using that game tape will be scared they will get the same treatment. It was a non conference game so it didn't matter in the big picture but it was more important she laid the hammer down on opening day. The girl she took out after the game said "...the keeper absolutely hammered me.." (PS - they rebounded with a victory on Sunday). I have to add a brief story about listening to the game online. I was at work, the game was at 11am on Friday and I pulled up the audio feed and had it playing in the background (it's my story). First, the audio was late starting, probably missed the first 10 minutes of the match. The announcer apologizes and begins with the call of the game. After about 10 minutes, he mentions that wasps are flying around. A couple of minutes pass and you hear some commotion and he is trying to call the game, while what sound like swatting at wasps. You then hear him calling the game and saying "the wasps are biting me". I was thinking get the heck out of there and go to the Home Depot/Lowes and get some wasp spray and catch us up when the 2nd half starts. I have to give it to him for being a trooper (I hope he didn't get bit too bad and I am glad he wasn't allergic but I am going to be honest and tell you that I was laughing the whole time.).
Football Weekend Recap
*Clemson is still a work in progress (maybe they will always be a work in progress...hoping I am wrong)
The Good
- Freshman looked pretty good - Watkins (at one point, he was 1 reception and 1 TD..not a bad start) and Bellamy (Spilleresque Speed - you heard it here first)
- Ellington was back to his old form (when given the ball and when the o line decided to block and most of the time when they didn't...wanted him to get 100 but was short)
- Big plays for touchdowns (exciting but a long drive would be nice, also...unless we are moving to the "we are going to outscore you theory" then big play/quick score away)
- Field goal kicker (except he missed an extra point which is unacceptable in my book if you play for a D1 school...I am sure I have discussed this somewhere on this blog.)
The Bad
- 0-9 on third downs conversions at one point improved in the 2nd Half; Third and long is not a strong suit for the Tigers
- Not scoring from the 1/2 yard line on 4th down...really (and you called the same play as on third down)
- Run Defense/Tackling
- Big play for touchdown or 3 and out
- Field goals instead of touchdowns
*Friday nights shoot out - Baylor - TCU (might be the best game all year...ok, the best game of week one - I will keep you updated throughout the year, if I see a better game)
*The college football is off to a wonderful start - Notre Dame lost (it took forever for it to be official but it finally happened
*What was my number 1 team Auburn thinking almost losing to Utah State. It almost cost them their unbeaten streak (currently the longest) and "Our Life" number one ranking...need you to hold on one more week - you can do it
*Steve Spurier is a coaching genius - started Conner let him drive them into a 14 point hole to have Garcia come back and save the day; Garcia is now superman with a cape...watch out UGA.
*I was unsure about the 35 uniforms that Maryland unveiled a couple of weeks ago but actually liked the secret 36th uniform that wasn't unveiled to the players until they returned to the locker room after warm ups, just before kickoff.
*Best thing about college football on Monday night - only 3 days until more college football
*I am agreeing with the majority...UGA's pro combat uniforms were a bit much (especially for a tradition rich southern, SEC school)...hoped they boxed all of them up along with the bad mojo
*Glad LSU won so later in the year Les's great crunch time coaching skills can be on display
*Did you see the Arkansas punt return, fumble for a touchdown that last about 30 seconds?
Peeking Ahead
*Clemson (1-0) vs Wofford (1-0) - Can the Tigers improve their run defense against the run heavy attack of Wofford? Improve on 3 down conversions? I am expecting more big plays and a no contest victory from the Tigers.
*SC (1-0) @ UGA (0-1) - Can SC pick up a victory between the hedges? I think so and the UGA family starts grumbling and some start packing the coaches train for a departure at the end of the season...it won't be the first coach to lose to SC and lose their job and won't be the last (Danny and Cory made me put that in the blog).
Racing Recap
*After two days of rain in Atlanta - Congrats to Jeff Gordon on the victory and becoming number in all time victories in the NASCAR series behind Petty and Pearson
*Did you see this crash in the INDY car race? What happens when you don't have any breaks going 170 and actually use the car in front of you to slow you down...probably wouldn't have survived a crash with the wall at 170 but used Helio's car to slow him down. I think I am going to get my breaks checked.
One more Indy car video...parking lot in turn 3
No comments:
Post a Comment